Because of various problems with Blogger, I've copied everything as of November 26, 2012 over to WordPress. The new location is Ask the Scientologist. I am not deleting this blog and will still accept comments and answer questions here too, but any new articles will appear at the WordPress location. I apologize if this causes any problems.

Friday, June 4, 2010

To Scientologists Newly Out of the Church

To you, dear Scientologist, who have finally decided to leave the Church of Scientology:

Congratulations!  You have made that important, first step to a new life.

Perhaps you haven't yet understood the magnitude of what you have done.

You have disagreed.

All Scientologists know that you may not disagree and remain in Scientology.  Oh, sure, you "can disagree", but only if you agree to get your disagreements "handled" by the church.  And that, we all learned, meant they would "handle" you until you realized "how wrong you were" and how right Scientology, the church and its leaders were.  There is no other "handling" -- you were wrong and Scientology, whatever they said and whatever they did, was right.

And, even though Ron said that agreement is effect and disagreement is cause,  Scientology only tolerates agreement.

And you have disagreed.  What's more, you refused to agree that you were wrong so you could be "handled" by the church.  You disagreed and you said, "I am right!"

This first disagreement after so much agree-agree-agree is a major step toward sanity.   If you are like I was, it is a great relief.

However, if you are like many Scientologists who have finally had enough and have stepped away from the Church of Scientology, you may still be wrapped up in the culture of agreement that is Scientology.

You might be tempted to return to that warm, welcoming culture of agreement with Scientologists outside of the church, like the "Independent Scientology" movement.  There, your disagreement about David Miscavige will become agreement, they all agree that "Miscavige is bad", and you could safely drop back with them into that safe world of complete agreement in Scientology.

You became a Scientologist because you found some of the things in Scientology to be worthwhile and workable.  But one of the characteristics of Scientology that is quite attractive to many Scientologists is that it is a pre-packaged set of beliefs where "all of that is bad" and "all of this is good",  you don't have to think, you don't have to worry, all you have to do is agree.  And once a person becomes a Scientologist, they are required to agree that everything in Scientology is good and workable -- no matter what their actual opinions or experiences are.

Hopefully, that's over for you.  Now you can make up your own mind about each and every thing in your life.  You can choose a life where you make the decisions about what you are going to think and believe.

You have taken the first step towards sanity and taking back your own life, don't stop now.  You can disagree if you want to.  You can disagree as much as you want, even with parts of Scientology.

And that is a road to greater truth.
-

8 comments:

  1. Bill, that is terrific!
    If you have your own point of view, your own experience and your own way of accomplishing results, what the heck with LRH "findings" and "developments".
    Welcome to LIFE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never in Scientology and have wondered about the lure of the "independent movement". I never considered the return to the safe place. Although I have and I'm sure others have engaged in that type of behavior of continuing to hold onto something that doesn't serve you any longer. I missed that part of leaving scientology.

    Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a few accounts from those who have finally decided they've had enough, like Synthia Fagen's "Standing Up to be Counted". I think it's safe to assume the mass exodus from Miscavige's "church" will continue.
    Sounds like it's a real hell on earth for those still in.

    Rachel99

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's important that people leaving the church know that leaving does NOT mean you have overts, that it's OK to have been wrong in one's estimation of the validity of scientology, and that your eternity, your after-life, or just your spiritual identity, WAS always yours to control.Granted, by the time you've been in for a while, the church has convinced you that it now owns that eternity and will commence selling it back to you, piece by piece.

    When I left, I had few fears, but I discovered that I had quite some anxiety on the subject of my "eternity" (the very phrase makes me cringe, now). Just a few months later, I couldn't believe I had been so stupid. It's a false fear, based on nothing but lies you have accepted as true, and once that one big lie is examined, it shatters. Really. GONE, just like that.

    As it turns out, it's not a valid fear, something based on fact or actual life experience, the doubts lingering for years and only gradually growing less over time. No, upon real examination it just blows, because it is a lie.

    So you aren't going to have to live with that fear for the rest of your life. It's completely bogus, and like other things you have accepted as true but which are not,you will get to a point where you can easily spot it. At that point, after you are completely outside of scientology, you will again be able to have certainty as to what is and is not true FOR YOU.

    Ironic, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually understand the plight of the newly out when they go over to the indie movement. When I first left the church, I was looking for ways to "get the tech" without having to go back to the church. One thing I discovered, for me, was the fact that what was really going on was that I couldn't face that I had given up 7 years of my life to a fraud. Imagine what it must be like to those who have given up so much more. Not that I agree with them, but I do understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well put Bill.

    The only vestige I personally have left from my association with DedLron's "gift to mankind" is a sense bitterness at times of what it took away from me which was considerable. I think I may have been a little luckier than others in that I tended to make it good for me instead of bad, which may account for the length of time I stayed "true" to it.

    Through my own healing process, I've come to also see what benefit I actually did receive through my OWN EFFORTS. But I've also realized how many more people aren't able to due to their own horrendous experiences with it for whatever the circumstances were. If DedL had lived up to his own words it would have been a much easier deal for a lot more people, but seeing as how he was rampantly dishonest it only accentuates the bitterness.

    I personally won't find lasting satisfaction until DedLron's reprehensible little understudy is safely residing in the gray bar hotel and the corporate sham that is the "church" is exposed for what it is in a court of law. Just on the basis of human rights violations it should be shut down really.

    Oh, btw, another thing you ex'es find out is that you never received a single solitary letter from "Ron". That channel was just as phony as most of his accomplishments. In the words of Jason Beghe when I found that out: "FU-CK ME"!

    Thanks for having this blog Just Bill, don't stop. Whenever I feel there cannot be any more to be said about the cos, there you go again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Bill -

    I and my husband, Craig, recently came out on the "Leaving Scientology" site because we no longer consider ourselves "Scientologists" . We were, indeed, "leaving Scientology"! I have nothing against anybody who still wants to practice the subject in a humane manner - but the subject simply no longer resonates with me.

    I have enjoyed reading many other philosophers and teachers, but am now painfully aware each time I think, "Wow! THIS guy REALLY has all the answers!" I do smile at my silliness sometimes. I guess I enjoy "wearing" all the different viewpoints - similar to a little girl who likes to play "dress up". I wore those raggedy Scientology tatters for so long, it felt good to try on some new stuff. For a while, I experienced a tremendous thirst for all that I had missed out on spiritually. I probably gobbled up 30-40 books in a short span of time. Now, it is simply a pleasure I indulge in that I don't take too seriously. I clean my house while listening to Alan Watts, Eckhart Tolle, Pema Chodron….or whomever. It uplifts me - but I'm never under the delusion that "now I've found it". If I have that thought for even an instant, I know I'm just putting the blinders back on. I stay vigilant - yet I keep my heart open. I hope that all makes sense. Thanks for your acknowledgment to us recent "outties". Love, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bill,

    Nice article about Scientology. I agree with this "You can choose a life where you make the decisions about what you are going to think and believe." There are certain situations wherein we disagree if we want to. Great post!

    Scott Sullivan
    CEO
    www.houstonsafeandlock.net

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated. Have patience, I get around to it pretty quick. As a rule of thumb, I won't approve spam, off-topic, trolling or abusive stuff. The rest is usually OK. Yes, you can disagree with me.